Monday, August 14, 2006

You Will Never Win The Ashes

You Will Never Win The Ashes

The scent of cricket is defintily in the Aussie air.

Being a cricket addict I have really missed playing cricket during what is the British cricket season.
It is the longest sustained period of cricket inaction I have endured for 32 years....So the chance to 'have a net' was too much to resist.

I found a practice venue (shed, as they are Known here) and enquired about the cost of an hour with a bowling machine.The old aussie guy I met there (Vic) informed me 'people usually pay $5' (about 2 British pounds).

As the shed was empty I asked if I could start right away. 'No problem mate yer boy can load the machine I'll take a look at ya'...'what a friendly bloke', I thought...

Vic promptly sets up the machine to send driveable balls on the off stump at 60 mph 'how helpful I thought.' Vic stands next to the net and watches..'Load the first ball nipper', he instructs my son.The 80mph inswinging ball hit my inner thigh so bloody hard, I hopped further than Jonathon Edwards at the Olympics.

'How fast was that'?, I squealed to Vic. 'Oh about 80 he replies our under 14's have it that high''

Can I have it slower please' I whimper.'Sure' says Vic.

Normal service is resumed I proceed to hit some nice looking cover drives and Vic even manages to say good shot once.

At the end of the session Vic smiles, takes my $5 and says, 'you wont win the ashes'.

I choose to say nothing as Vic has the power to put the bowling machine up to 90 mph.My son however cannot resist and gleefully informs Vic. 'we did win the ashes last year'.

Vic smiled and asked if I would be back next week.......I will keep you informed.

Stew Gill
Monday, July 17, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home