Monday, August 14, 2006

Aussie Culture

Aussie Culture

I am truly beginning to enjoy the Aussie life and, contrary to popular pommie belief. The Aussies are, in general, a warm kindly people.....Until sport is played/mentioned/watched.

On Sunday August 6 2006 I became, with my two boys. a Fremantle Dockers fan.

Now, the 'Dockers', or 'Freo', as some call them, play Aussie Rules Football, which is a cross between Football, Rugby and 'all in Wrestling'.

I sat and watched 36 men (yes it's 18 per side) beat the living snot out of each other for two hours. Head butts, punches, elbows all ignored by the refs. Great...While all this is happening a baying crowd, dressed in wooly hats and sleeveless shirts. Consume meat pies and beer..all without a hint of trouble...Oh the game also went on with Freo winning by 106 to 56.

The atmosphere and smell was wonderfully vintage 1970's English football. All without the menace of a fight or riot.

Even when I shouted "great catch' and was told, 'it's a mark, ya pommie arsehole' I didn't feel threatened...anyhow I could have taken her..,well, if her Dad wasn't there I could have done.

The Aussies get really embarassed if 'anyone' says they are cultured but I think they are. They are also blunt and honest. No pretence. Everyone likes a good skillful match , but eh it's better if some highly paid player gets his lights punched out as well.

Come on admit it, we might not condone it in England, but we all Love when it happens and as much as we know the ref is there to do a job, We would all love to see Robbie Savage and Roy Keane scrapping on the pitch with no sanctions.

Back to the match. The same crowd that watched this game and the same family that told me it's a 'mark' not a catch came back from the half time interval with chips for my Kids unprompted, but freely given.

Now I don't know if that's culture. But it sure is class.

Stew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home